Caring For Your Window Decals
Window decals are as versatile as your imagination. You can have an identifying decal on the front window of your store to inform clients about your business, brand your car windows with your logo, or even show off your geekery on the rear window of your car. While window decals are very durable, you do have to properly care for them to make sure that they last. Most decals will last 5 to 7 years if they are properly cared for. Follow the tips below to make sure that you extend the life of your decals.
- Apply the decals to clean, dirt-free windows. If you stick them onto dust or dirt, it can cause the decal to not stick as well as it could.
- Avoid handling the sticky side of the decal before applying them to your windows.
- Wait at least one week before washing your windows. This gives the decal time to properly adhere to the glass.
- Do not scrub hard on the substances with vinyl to clean them.
- If anything (dirt, bird droppings, etc.) get on the vinyl decal, clean it off immediately to prevent it from staining. If you need to, soak the decal in hot water for a few minutes.
- Avoid pressure washing your decals as the pressure can cause the edges to start to lift and become un-stuck.
- Try to avoid using window cleaners with ammonia, as the ammonia can reduce the life of your decal.
- Do not use harsh chemicals to clean the decals, and avoid using wire scrubbers or rough sponges to prevent scratching or peeling the edges of the vinyl.
- Never use solvents, kitchen and bathroom cleaners, oven cleaners, engine degreasers, or other oil-based cleaners on your decals.
Special Tips for Decals on Car Windows
- If your decal is on the back windshield of your car, avoid using the rear defroster as it can warp the decal. Do not use the back windshield wiper as well, as the blade can drag and destroy the graphics. If you can, remove the rear wiper blade to prevent yourself from accidentally turning it on.
- Do not roll down windows that have decals on them. The mechanics of the window and rubber stoppers can stretch, peel, and break the graphics.
- Don’t use an ice scraper or credit card on the decals, as they can be scratched off. If you must remove snow, use a gentle brush to remove the snow without destroying the decal.